Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Per Adua Ad Astra!!


..................(Through Hardship To The Stars!)

I am going to my best friend's send off and then some random guy thinks it is a good idea to send off my phone too!!
Yeah!! you may not believe it but my phone was robbed too. I am still in awe of the powers that be at this incongruous circumvention of cataclysmic events. Should I be? I don't know honestly. This is less than 22 hours after a guy wiped out my whole closet and thought it good to just not let me know. He even took my prize underwear so now I have to be very careful with the pair that I have so that it does not get soiled before end of day. I tell you I am living the life of a hermit.

Am sure the guy who stole my phone was a male; this at least am sure about. The rest is pretty hazy. Me seated on a motor bike chasing the matatu (public transport vehicle) across town does not seem to register at first thought. So I am depressed, broke, hungry( haven't eaten in close to 28 hours)
My friend has his send-off which is really a great quiet time in which we reflected about his stay in this Beautiful Shithole(Oxymoron? tell me a better way to describe this country) for the last 8 months. We shared of travels to forbidden lands, prospects of meeting on a street in Washington DC and some pretty shocking revelations. Witnesses ? Jackfruity was there.
And today in between trying to say goodbye to him and recovering my phone, I was in the throes of agonizing regret that I did not spend more time with him.
I mean what tribute is there to a guy who has been lost with you in a forest in the middle of an impenetrable jungle where the people start playing flutes of rejoicing that you are lost (probably in anticipation of dinner).
What do you say to a guy who has been accosted by a rat the size of a goat (for all he knows) in your house?
There is no literary expletive to even bring half of the times and memories made and shared to the imagination of the bystander.
The only thing I will say is that when an In An African Minute was born we never had an inkling that the idea would yield a character so bold and yet so strong.

GODSPEED AND JOURNEY MERCIES TO YOU.
May the sun bow wherever he meets you
May the stars always be resplendent of your valor
May the ladies always be ware of your omnicient charm
And to the ends of the earth, may you find that which completes us all.
Neither Harry Belafonte nor Jeffrey Sachs wish you as much.

Peace Out Josh.

3 comments:

  1. "incongruous circumvergence of cataclysmic events"

    Oh My God, I'm totally blog stalking you right now, I know, but I'm obsessed! How your personality could translate so wonderfully in a blog, I'll never know! But I'm addicted, you are seriously killing me over here in my boring little cube.

    Keep those posts coming, I'm an addict now and it wouldn't be nice to cut me off right when I'm getting hooked!

    love,

    mai wen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't want to heap criticism on top of everything else you've suffered, but you butchered my state's motto:

    Ad Astra per Aspera -- to the stars through difficulty

    Glad to know Kansas is givng you a bit of comfort in your time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you the man, man!

    im at home and ive been up since 5AM and i dont dare step outside....EVER.

    ReplyDelete