Give me where to stand, and I will move the earth. Archimedes (287-212 B.C.)
He is a Professor of Computer Science and holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science, and is currently serving as Dean, Faculty of Computing and Information Technology, (CIT) Makerere University. He is a member of Makerere University Senate and Council. Continuously demonstrating competence as a leader driven by the need to serve, respect and strengthen those he serves. He believes in building and strengthening institutions.
Under his leadership, the Institute of Computer Science at Makerere University transformed from a small unit with one academic programme, 28 students and an annual budget of USD $15,000 to a Faculty of Computing and Information Technology with 22 academic programmes, over 5,000 students undertaking degree programmes and an annual budget of over USD $7 million by September 2005 (within a period of four years only). Today the Faculty of Computing and IT budget is over USD $10 million.
At the national and regional level, he coordinates (multi- million dollar) projects and research programs aimed at building specialized computing and ICT Human Resource Capacity in Africa; its universities and other tertiary institutions plus the private and public sectors
He is a consultant in ICT research, training, advisory services and policy and a recognised expert on e-governance.
He is the Chairman and Managing Director of ICT Consults Ltd, a prestigious ICT consultancy firm.
He is currently the Executive President of Connect Uganda Foundation, a non profit making organization incorporated in Uganda in 2003 with the overall objective of stimulating new firms and creating jobs in the knowledge-intensive sector, by linking entrepreneurs and innovators with research and development, service providers, venture capitalists and partners.
He is the Executive President of Uganda National Academy of Computing and Internet Technologies, an association that brings together all computing/ ICT faculties/ institutes in all public and private universities to address common objectives and challenges.
A member of the Presidential Investors Roundtable- B.P.O. working group and was also a member of the ICT working committee of the 1st Presidential Investors Roundtable.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Bergen, Norway 2000
- Post Graduate Certificate in Public Relations, University of Minnesota, Minnesota 1999
- Post Graduate Certificate in Administration, University of Bergen, Norway 1999
- Post Graduate Certificate in Business Management, Sofia University, Bulgaria 1998
- Postgraduate Diploma in Mathematical Modelling, University of Trondheim, Norway 1998
- Post Graduate Diploma in Economic Modelling, University of Trondheim, Norway 1997
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, University of Bergen, Norway 1996
- M.Sc. (Mathematics)-Coursework, Makerere University, Uganda 1995
- B.Sc. (Mathematics), Makerere University, Uganda 1994
A distinguished academic, researcher, leader and manager, he lectures courses in Computer Science, Networks, Information Systems and Software Engineering at all levels including Doctoral levels.
He has supervised over 50 masters' students and over 80 postgraduate diploma students to completion and is currently supervising several graduate students both at Masters and PhD level. His plan is to have 100 PhD holders in Computing & IT related courses by 2012.
As Dean, CIT he has accumulated experience in staff training and retention in an African University setting. He manages today over 200 staff and a student population of over 5000 on degree programmes in Computing and ICT disciplines.
With over sixteen years of teaching experience under his belt, a peerless educator and in many ways the man of his time.
Between Himself, His Company - ICT Consults Ltd., and CIT his most prestigious awards are:
- In January 2009, Prof. Baryamureeba was considered for inclusion in the ''2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century'' by the International Biographical Centre, which is scheduled for publication in early 2010.
- The '2008 HP Technology for Teaching Higher Education Grant'' was awarded to CIT the 'in appreciation for its commitment for student success and for seeking innovative ways to transform teaching and learning through the effective use of technology.
- Appointed an honorary member of the International Association of IT Governance Standards (ITGOVS), in November 2008. Honorary Membership to ITGOVS is by invitation only and is extended to the top professionals in this area, both from the corporate world as well as the academic world.
- 2nd Runner-up, Presidential Science Awards, Science and Technology Excellence Award in September 2008, in recognition of his innovative approach to institutional and human capacity development in computer science by the President of the Republic of Uganda.
- ICT Consults Ltd received 10th Platinum Technology Award for Quality and Best Trade Name, July 2008.
- 'Top ICT Educator/ Academic' Award in Africa for 2007 under the theme "Making the African Century a Reality", at the 9th Annual African ICT Achievers Awards.
- IBM made a gift in his honor to the United Nations (UN) Foundation in support of Nothing but Nets, a grassroots campaign to save lives by preventing malaria in December 2007.
- "The International Star Award for Quality in the Diamond category" - April 2006 in Paris, France. (http://www.bid-star.com/) in recognition of Excellence in Leadership and Business Management; Quality and Excellence; and Technological Innovations and Expansion.
- Professional of the Year 2005 – British Council Award. An award mainly for achievers, mentors and inspirational managers who have contributed immensely to the management of their organizations as well as International communities.
- The 2005 Presidential Science Award Cycle: He was also recognized for his efforts in spearheading ICT training, research and consultancy services in sub-Saharan Africa.
- International Arch of Europe Award for Quality and Technology in the Diamond Category- February 2005, Frankfurt, Germany.
- The ICT Quality Summit International Award- New York, USA on 21st June 2004.
- The 2003-Century International Quality Era Award- May 2003, Geneva, Switzerland.
- The Key Milestones of his career:
- The Key Milestones of his career:
- In 1996 he finished a two year M.Sc. in Computer Science in a record time of 8 months;
- In 2000 he graduated with a PhD and had the best PhD dissertation that year at the University of Bergen;
- In 2000 discovered the Barya function;
- In 2000 at the age of 30 he was the youngest PhD holder at Makerere University;
- In 2000 he became the 1st Ugandan to obtain a PhD in Computer Science;
- In 2001 at the age of 31 he was appointed Director of the Institute of Computer Science and became the youngest Director in the History of Makerere University;
- In 2005 at the age of 36 he was appointed Dean of the Faculty of Computing and IT and became the youngest Dean in the history of Makerere University;
- In 2005, he spearheaded the construction of the largest computing building in Africa with 12,500 sq metres of space worth over USD$ 20 million and was funded from internally generated funds in the Faculty of Computing and IT. Previously he had spearheaded the construction of the Faculty of Computing and IT Building (Block A) worth 2500 sq metres.
- In 2006 he was appointed a full Professor at the age of 37 making him the 1st Professor of Computer Science in Uganda and the youngest Professor in sub-Saharan Africa;
- In 2006 he raised from the rank of Associate Professor to Professor in a record time of less than three (3) months;
- In 2007 he received the 'Top ICT Educator/ Academic' Award in Africa for 2007;
- In November 2008 he was included in the 2009 Edition of Who's Who in the World; a global distribution relied upon by business leaders, journalists, academics, and other professionals for its accuracy and currency of information.
Professor Venansius Baryamureeba.
Dean, Faculty of Computing and IT, Makerere University.
Truly a look at the future.